Out of all the places in Wirral, Moreton has to be my favourite. Although it has declined somewhat
over the last twenty years most of the older generation remember Moreton as a small quiet village
about. Today Moreton is becoming a trendier place to live, with up and coming coffee shops, wine
bars and ethnic restaurants. That is not to say Moreton isnt still a nice place to visit, its just not
how many choose to remember it. Moreton and Leasowe are steeped in history, from the oldest
Farm House in Wirral to the oldest lighthouse in Britain. We can also trace Moretons original
inhabitants back to at least Roman times. There is much evidence of early Roman roads, markets
and even ports around the village and surrounding areas. The name Moreton comes from the
Anglo-Saxon word mere - meaning a Lake, and ton - meaning Town. Moreton was originally known
as Moreton-cum-Lingham and was bounded by Great Meols to the West with Bidston and Wallasey
to the South and East. Before the embankment was constructed, it was 3000 acres of tidal lagoon
between one and two metres below sea level with most of the remainder little more than one
metre above. Lingham means Heather Island and is derived from the Norse words Lyng, meaning
heather, and Holm, meaning island. Leasowe comes from the Anglo-Saxon word Leasowes, means
Meadow Pastures; which formed part of Leasowe at the time.
Moreton later became part of the Parish of Bidston and was the wealthiest and most productive
part of the area run for the Birkenhead Priory. Although it was allowed to become run down during
the early 1800's, the introduction of the Wirral Railway Line in 1866 brought day-trippers from
Liverpool and further afield. By 1900 Moreton was again thriving and was even being
recommended by doctors as a place for a holiday or a place to live because its fresh air and clean
sea was seen as beneficial for conditions such as rheumatism. Moreton's association with health
attracted the attention of Margaret Beavan who chose Leasowe as the place to build the Liverpool
Open-Air Hospital for children with tuberculosis.
The hospital was later renamed the Leasowe Children's Hospital when the National Health Service
came into operation in 1948. The hospital is now demolished and an estate with trendy; luxury
apartments stands in its place. The great thing about Moreton is that many of its historical
buildings still exist today.
With a stroll or drive around Moreton you are still able to see the oldest lighthouse in the Britain
and tour it, see the oldest farmhouse in Wirral, visit many old buildings such as Leasowe Castle,
and even a stroll along the shore line reveals old World War 2 machine gun bunkers for when the
Jerrys were going to invade.
The pillbox at Moreton was built as part of Britain defence against the Germans. The pillbox is still
in relatively good condition. Further information can be found on this by clicking the option on the
left hand menu.
Click the next page number to continue... Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7