The extreme activity of the tidal forces of the River Mersey has caused much movement over the
century's and perhaps none more so than in Meols and the Leasowe shoreline. It is recorded that an
ancient church named Lee's Church existed out on the land now covered by the Mersey some distance
from todays shoreline. The remains of a road called Kirkway, which lead from the present shoreline
down to the church could still be seen in the early 1800's. There are records of residents in the early
19th century, who remember seeing tombstones which were exposed at very low tides out in the
riverbed. Further to this, in 1828 workmen carrying out a survey between Leasowe and Wallasey
discovered a number of skeletons approximately 200 metres seaward of the present day lighthouse.
There movement of the waters in this area are great, as can be seen with the lost land at Dove Point
with the submerged forest and the lost Lighthouse at Leasowe.
It is hard to determine the age of the church or when and who built it. The word 'Kirk' is used very much
in old Norse and translates into the word 'Church'. If this is where the name has derived from it would
put the origin of the church somewhere in the region of 750 - 1100ad.