Dragons Teeth - Beach Defences
The beach front at Moreton was like many around the UK fortified during WW2 in case of an
amphibious assault landing by the Germans. Just one of the many defences laid in 1940 were
Dragons Teeth as shown above, which strewn along the shore line until being removed during the
Dragon's teeth were square-pyramidal fortifications of reinforced concrete used during the Second
World War to impede the movement of tanks. The idea was to slow down and channel tanks into
"killing zones" where they could easily be disposed of by anti-tank weapons. In practice,
however, the use of combat engineers and specialist clearance vehicles enabled them to be
disposed of relatively quickly, and they proved far less of an obstacle than many had expected.
We will never know how successful these defences of Moreton shore would have been, but it is
fairly probable that they would not have held out for long as the North West coast line was one of
the least defended areas.
The picture above was taken from our friends at Wiki Wirral. Please visit their history forums.