In 1865 that Moreton railway station was built and added onto the Wirral Railway Line. It was
opened on side of the line was used by the Moreton Football Club as a changing room.
Leasowe station was built in 1895 when the Wirral Line was being converted to a double-track
line. The line was electrified in the mid 1930's but, amazingly, a footbridge over the track was
not added until 1947. Cole's Bus Service was the first motorised bus service in Moreton. Initially
running between Moreton Shore and Moreton Station, the service was extended from the
station to Moreton Cross when Birkenhead Municipal Transport started their service to Moreton
Cross in 1920. The Crosville service started in 1925 with Wallasey joining, in 1928. Cole's
service last ran in 1926.Christ Church in Moreton was built in 1863 at a cost (which included a
school) of 8,000 UK Pounds. It was built on land donated by Mr. Tom Webster. Mr. William
Inman the Shipping Magnate of Upton manor donated the money for the buildings.
Moreton's first Roman Catholic Church was built in 1923 at a cost of 1,200 UK Pounds. The
money was raised by public subscription. The Church was pulled down in 1955 and replaced
with the one which exists today. Moreton's population has grown from 165 in 1665 to the
present-day (2000) figure of around 24,500. It was 210 in 1801 and 597 in 1901. There was a
big jump between 1911 and 1921 when it went from 898 to 2,531. On 1st August 1928,
Wallasey extended it's boundaries to include Moreton and by 1941 the population had grown to
5,000 -- expanding to over 7,700 in 1951. In 2004 Moreton barely resembles its own past,
being built upon at an alarming rate, almost now touching Meols in the west, Greasy to its
southwest and Upton, where there is now no discernable boundary. The population is probably
treble what it was in the 1960s. The green belt between Bidston and Moreton is disappearing
also as the housing creeps along Fender Lane.
Click a page to return. Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
The North Wirral Coastal Park also runs for
public open space, common land, natural
foreshore and sand-dunes. The park provides
angling, swimming, cycling, picnicking, walking,
jogging, ball games, bird watching and horse
riding. The low-lying land behind the coast is
protected by a large concrete embankment.
Some of the coastal land is in the Moreton
conservation area and provides important
The embankment gives a good view at low
tide to see a variety of wading birds. There are
also good views of the Bidston Hill, Caldy Hill,
the Welsh Hills, and out over the Irish Sea
because of the sandbanks just offshore.
Moreton is also known for being the home of
the Burton's factory, producer of Cadbury's
biscuits. Moreton is also the home of Manor
Bakeries, the former Cadbury's cakes
department, at Reeds Lane near to Leasowe
Moreton witnessed the world's first commercial
passenger and mail hovercraft service. The
service ran from Moreton to Rhyl and
commenced 20th July 1962. However, due to
varying reasons including bad weather and
technical difficulties the service was cancelled
after its final journey on 14th September 1962.
|The River Birkett, Moreton.