Education in Wallasey was extremely developed compared to many places in Wirral at the time. The first evidence of a school is the burial of a headmaster in St Hillary's in 1595. From this point we know that the children of Wallasey received some sort of education. Records show that sometime after, a separate school building was built on the site of St Hillary's Parish making it the first school in Wallasey.
After that a new second school building shown on the previous page, was erected in Breck Road in 1799. The small school building was to educate the children incorporating a 6 day week for the scholars. As the population grew, so too did the amount of pupils attending the school. In 1834 record show that there was 83 pupils using this small school. It was soon decided that a new school house was required where the young children could be educated separately.
Shortly after in 1840 a new third school house shown on the previous page, was built in Nelsons gutter and the infants transferred to this building for their education. This school remained in use until 1907 when it became surplus to requirement.
A fourth school was opened in 1854 to cope with the growing amount of pupils. This School was built in a small lane known as Back Lane. The school ran successfully for many years although it was plagued with building problems from the outset, ranging from structural deficiencies to poor lighting. Years later the name of Back Lane was changed to what we call today "St Georges Road".
In 1876 a fifth school was opened in Withens Lane in an area known as Flag Field. This was a name given locally due to the large flag stones which were sunk into the ground to allow easier movement and stop people from having to walk in mud during the winter months. The school costs exceeded a record £13,600 and was used as an Elementary School for both boys & girls of Wallasey Village.
In 1911 a sixth school was built, and the old school was demolished. The new school had many new amenities including playing fields and classroom equipment. But again as numbers began to grow, the board began to look for a new and bigger school to run.
1967 a seventh school was opened formally by H.R.H the Duchess of Kent and was known as the new "Wallasey Grammar School". And so at the end of the term the pupils left the School at Withens Lane and began their new term at the Grammar school which was built in Birkett Avenue on he newly created Leasowe Estate. The school was later named Henry Meoles Senior Comprehensive School.
The Fourth School - Wallasey Grammar School St George's Lane built 1854
The Sixth School - Wallasey Grammar School St George's Lane built 1911
The Village Brow...
As we leave Breck Road we pass another famous land mark of Wallasey, St Hillary's Brow. This is one of the highest points in Wallasey today and had several notable buildings on it. The Brow has changed dramatically over the years. At one time it was a very steep hill used only for horse and cart and only wide enough to fit one down. At the bottom of the hill stood an old inn known as the "Sebastopol Inn". It is believed that the inn is named after the victory in the Crimean War.