MENU
The first mention of the settlement known today as Liscard was around 1260ad, and is
recorded as being called "Lisnekarke".  The name derives from the Welsh words "Llys" and
"Carreg", with roughly translates into fort at height".  In the past the name has been spelt
with several variations including Liscak in 1260, Lisecair in 1277, Lysenker in 1295 and Lyscart
in the 14th Century.  

Like the rest of the area most of the residents from the earlier time would have been
fisherman, farmers and sea traders.  The population was extremely small due to the
harshness of the environment.  Liscard used to be a bitter inhospitable place consisting of
muddy fields, dirt tracks and heavy set sand dunes with marshland outskirts.  Liscard, like
most of the other Boroughs;  received its population boom in the mid 19th Century which can
be confirmed by many of its historical buildings left around the area.  
A successful Liverpool merchant known as Sir John Tobin built Liscard Hall in 1835 on a plot
of land originally owned by the Prior of Birkenhead.  One of the fields that was bought was
known as "Moorhey Field" and the other was called "Middle Moorhey".  The land was
purchased from F.R.Price, Esq, and the large project of building the Hall was undertaken.  
After several years the large hall was completed, at which time Sir John name it
"Moor Heys House" after the fields which it was built upon.

The building was later renamed
"Liscard Hall" and fortunately for us this brilliant display of
19th century neo-classical architecture still sits proudly within central park, dominating its sky
line.  The hall consists of five bays by six bays, with pillared porch and a pediment roof.  An
article in the New Brighton Walrus also contains the following information:

Sir John Tobin also had a fishing lodge at the very edge of the river, at a spot called Codling
Gap.  Opposite here he moored his yacht, which he used to cross the river in preference to
using the ferryboats.  Lady Tobin always kept a telescope in a room at the Hall, the window
of which commanded a view of the river, so that when it was stormy she could watch the
boat crossing, and seeing her husband's safe arrival, be relieved of her anxiety at the earliest
possible moment
Liscard Castle

The building known as Liscard Castle once stood in the area which is today called Castle
Road and Turret Road, from which the street names are derived.  The old house was built
Circa 1815 and named Marine Villa.  The building draws its nick name of "Liscard Castle" from
its castle like appearance of its architecture.  The house sported several turrets and thick
walls, with intricate detailing such as shields and stone animals and crests.  John Marsden
was a resident of Marine Villa for many years and from his name the building was also given
several other nick names such as; "Marsden Castle" and "Marsden Folly".  
In addition, the road we know today as Sea View; was originally called "Marsden's Lane",
and yes you guessed it, it was after Mr Marsden himself.   
Liscard Hall
After Harold Littledale died the Hall and grounds were purchased by the Wallasey Local
Board (Now Wirral Council) and opened to the public for the fist time.  The grounds were
quickly refurbished and became known as Central Park.  

For a while after the building was used as an art college for the borough which was received
with great interest.  However the number of students enrolling dropped sharply during
World War II.  The Home Guard HQ  shared the accommodation and some of its members
were induced to become students at the school.  The Art College closed in 1982 at which
time it was leased to a local company until 2003 at which time it was retaken by the Council.  
In 2003 a council document revealed that the Hall required approximately £285,000 worth of
work to bring it up to a required standard.

Sadly on the 7th July 2008 due to frequent access by vandals to the old manor house, a fire
was started that swept through the building engulfing it in flames and seriously damaging
the structure.  The follow day the building was knocked down and became another part of
Wirrals quickly disappearing history.  
After the death of Sir John
Tobin, Liscard Hall was
passed down to his son in
law Mr Harold Littledale who
later died in 1889. A little
known fact about the
strange past of the hall is
that Harold's son, wanted to
marry his cousin (Sir John
Tobin's grand-daughter),
which was legal at the time;
however his father objected
and he soon became a
recluse living at the Hall.  He
also died in 1889 shortly
after his father and is buried
in St Hillary's graveyard.
Liscard Hall
Liscard Hall
Many years after the death
of Mr Marsden, the building
was separated into 3
residencies.  They were
called "The Castle, The
Tower and The Turret".  As
time went by the building fell
into a poor state of repair
and became a victim of
neglect.  The large building
was eventually pulled down
in the spring of 1902.  The
stone lions from the building
were said to have been
taken from the site and
disappeared for decades
before finally reappearing on
Dr Lyburn's house in Manor
Road.  The lion disappeared
a short time after.  
Liscard Castle
Liscard Castle
Liscard Manor

We cannot be sure of how old the original Manor House at Liscard was, but we confirm that
the earliest mention of it was in 1493 when its owner Sir Richard Aston died.  It was reputed
to be of good stature and ancient maps show it to be located at what is today, Earlston
Library.  Subsequently a new Manor house was built on the old site and that is the building
which we see today, currently being used as a children's library.  
Click here to continue .....                                                                                                                            Page  1  2   3
The Manor was also held by the famous Meoles family, the Litherlands and also the Houghs
family for a short period of time almost two century's later.  In 1800 the Manor was sold to
John Penkett for a sum of £2513 at which time he also bough the local windmill, a farm and
several small houses.  

Sir John Tobin.  The house was noted to be a fine building with balcony's the which
commanded great views over the River Mersey and thus was named
"Sea Bank".  This is of
course where the name of "Sea Bank Road" is taken from.  After 1841 the house was
rename by John Penkett to something which he felt to be better in keeping.  As such, it was
changed to "Liscard Manor House", despite there already being a Manor House in Earlston.
Earlston.

We cannot know for certain why John Penkett decided not to live in the Manor House.  I
would assume it would be a combination of reasons.  We know that Sea Bank had great
views across the Mersey, and Mr Penkett was heavily involved in Maritime activities.  
Perhaps the allure of a grand house built by the affluent Sir John Tobin was reason in its
self.  All that we can be certain of is that with the changing of the name from Sea Bank to
Liscard Manor House can assume that Mr Penkett believed the house to be superior and to
act as the Manor House for Liscard.  After the death of John Penkett in 1838, his beloved
daughter stayed as Lady of the Manor until her death in 1888.  

Some time after the manor went up for sale, but it was given no interest by local parties
and was eventually sold to the Trustees of the Mariners Home in 1893.  The building was
used as the Mariners infirmary before shortly being demolished in 1937.  The current place
of Mariners Park stands upon the site.  If you are ever around the area it is worth a visit to
see the spot where the grand old house stood.  Sources confirm that the actual structure
stood in the Mariners Park facing the River with its gardens sloping down gently to the
water.  In my eyes its no wonder Mr Penkett preferred the house.

The original Manor house in Earlston was renamed
"Rose Mount" in 1841 and again it was
renamed in 1853 to
"Earlston House".  Some of the old building remains today and is used
as a library by the public.  Other roads in the area named after the family and the building
include
Penkett Street and the family, Sea Bank Road after the house, Manor Lane which
was the lane leading to the gate of the old Manor, and of course
Manor Road.
Picture 01
Picture 02
Picture 03
Picture 04
Click on the thumbnail below to view Liscard Manor: