MENU
The Boroughs of Wallasey
The area now called Wallasey comprises several distinct districts - Egremont, Liscard, New
Brighton, Poulton, Seacombe and Wallasey Village.  These gradually merged together to form
a single built-up area during the 19th and early 20th centuries.


Wallasey Village
The village has a mixture of popular mostly 20th century semi-detached and detached
housing, a pleasant shopping street, with a floral roundabout in the centre.  It is considered
the most wealthy area of Wallasey.  St Hilary’s church is an ancient foundation, the old tower
is all that remains of a 1530 church building which burned down in 1857.  At the north end of
Wallasey Village, the main street leads to the promenade and coastal park, and two golf
courses.  The promenade passes here, running from the 'Gunsite' around to Seacombe, a
total of over 7 miles.


New Brighton
New Brighton was a popular seaside resort after the mid-19th century.  At one time it houses
an enormous tower which stood higher than Blackpool and was the North Wests premier
coastal resort.  Sadly it declined after the tower and pier were demolished, finally hitting its
low point in the 1950s from which i do not believe it will ever revive.  Nevertheless, the
marine promenade is part of a popular walk and the areas near the sea offer a much
improved beach and many leisure activities. The recently rebuilt Floral Pavilion plays host to
regular productions and national stars such as Ken Dodd, and Vale Park is a beautiful public
park.  Housing here ranges from large villas near the sea to suburban semi-detached homes,
while there are some less attractive terraces in parts of the area. New Brighton is served by
a railway station of the same name.  New Brighton promenade is the UK's longest
promenade.  

Poulton
Poulton was originally a small fishing and farming hamlet beside the Wallasey Pool from which
it derived its name.  It developed with the growth of the docks, mainly as an industrial and
terraced housing area.  Today it is a mish mash of industrial estates and densely populated
patches of housing.


Egremont
Egremont developed as an affluent residential area in the early 19th century, and was named
by one Captain Askew who built a house in the area in 1835 and named it after his
Cumberland birthplace.  Egremont Pier was built in 1827 and was the longest pier on
Merseyside until it was damaged irreparably in 1946 when a coaster collided with it.  
Egremont also contains Wallasey Town Hall, which is an imposing edifice opened in 1916 and
initially used as a war hospital.  It is located overlooking the estuary and with its back to the
town centre.  This area of Egremont is now almost entirely housing, although there is a small
shopping area on King Street which still shows some signs of its maritime history within its
architecture.


Seacombe
Seacombe, the most south-easterly section of Wallasey, is best known for its Mersey Ferry
terminal, with regular ferry boat departures to Pier Head in Liverpool and Woodside in
Birkenhead.  There is a commuter ferry service direct to Liverpool during peak hours, while for
the rest of the day the ferries are geared to serving tourists with a circular cruise visiting
Birkenhead Woodside ferry terminal as well.  Seacombe is the last remaining of the three
ferry terminals which used to connect the Borough of Wallasey, the others being Egremont
Ferry and the New Brighton Ferry, which operated from its own pier, running parallel to the
New Brighton pleasure pier.  Seacombe Ferry is also the starting point of a seven mile
unbroken promenade, mostly traffic-free, running alongside the River Mersey to Harrison
Drive beyond New Brighton.  Local landmarks are the church of St Paul which stands on its
own traffic island, and the ventilation tower for the Kingsway Tunnel with its mighty
extraction fans.  As with Poulton, the area developed with housing for workers in the docks
and nearby industries, and much of the housing is council-owned or terraced.  The Guinea
Gap swimming baths are located between Seacombe and Egremont.