MENU
The second building is pictured below and is a very strange looking edifice which stood just on the
bottom of the Brow, near the Sebastopol Inn just at the crossing of Breck Road.  The old building
was destroyed in 1930 to allow for road widening and was a casualty of a population boom like so
many others in Wallasey Village.  Also in the picture to the right of the house, is a small path which
lead up to the old
Wallasey Mill.  
St Hillarys Brow 1902
St Hillary's Brow 1901
St Hillary's Brow 1905
St Hillarys Brow 1905
Wallasey Mill Circa 1880
The Wallasey Windmill Circa 1880
The surrounding area
also gives us an
insight into what
Wallasey village
looked like during the
late 1800's when this
was taken.  

The old
Wallasey Mill
stood on Breck Road
just behind the old
school house from
1765 until 1887,
when it was deemed
unfit for use.  

A large house called
Millthwaite was built
on the site of the old
mill and prospered for
many years before
finally being torn
down to make way
for flats which were
named Millthwaite
Court.

Nothing remains of
the old mill or the site
except for the small
pathway which once
lead the millers up to
their place of work.  
The photograph to
the right is believed
to be only 1 of 3
showing Wallasey's
Mill.
The Village Crosses...

The village of Wallasey at one time has
Two Crosses, the "Village Cross" and the
"Church Cross".  

The first cross stood at the cross roads of
Church Hill and Nelsons Gutter and was
known as the
Market Cross.  The purpose
of a village cross dates back to medieval
times.  It was placed at the cross roads to
show that it was of significant importance
within the village.  It is noted that this is
where the village market would take place
and in addition, it was the location of the
village moot.   In early mediaeval Britain
such places were used for meetings of local
people to settle local business.  Among
other things, proclamations might be read;
decisions might be taken; court cases
might be settled at a moot.  The word
"moot" is of Old English origin and derives
from the verb to meet.  Initially referring to
any popular gathering.  I have no
information of what happened to this cross
or why it disappeared.  
The second cross was the Church Cross which sat in the graveyard at St Hillary's Church.  It
was given the local nick name of the "Weeping Cross" as it was located at the point where
the local priest would meet the funeral precession.  The cross is reputed to have been
extremely well formed and very tall, standing almost 12 feet in height.  The cross was known
to have been damaged and thus was taken down.  How this happened is still not known,
although local stories say that it was damaged by King Williams men when they entered
Wallasey en route to the Battle of the Boyne in 1690.  The base of the old cross was found
last century in the basement of the old rectory during refurbishment and as yet has not been
replaced.
A Similar Village Cross
Click here to continue...                                                                                                              Page  1  2  3  4  5  6