The plaque on the side of the Tudor tower reads as follows:
"There have been churches dedicated to St Hilary on this site since at least 902 and it is possible
that the earliest church dates back to the fifth century. The tower, the oldest building in Wallasey
was built as part of the fourth St Hillary's church in 1530.
The tower became part of the fifth church built in 1757-60. It remained the only church in
Wallasey till the nineteenth century, and on the North side of the Tower was the first school in
Legends speak of tunnel leading from below the tower floor to other parts of Wallasey, and that
these tunnels were used to hide the goods collected by ship wreckers.
The fifth church was destroyed by a fire in 1857. The fire was caused by the sexton stoking up
the boiler too high after complaints that the church was cold. The heat melted fat on hams being
unofficially smoked above the boiler and this caught fire. It is recorded that Wallasey smelt of
bacon for days afterwards.
The fire destroyed the tower floors and the six bells crashed down and were broken. They were
re-cast to form the bells used in the present St Hillary's.
In 1893 the tower roof was repaired and the ground floor area became a mortuary chapel. The
floor level was raised and decorated with Minton tiles.
The tower was re-roofed and restored in 2003".
Click here to return