|Press "BACK" on your
browser to return to
the previous page.
|Hon Edward Cust,
|Sir Edward Cust, 1st Baronet, tried initially to run Leasowe Castle as a hotel, unsuccessful he then
took up residence in 1843 and made many additions to the building. Cust was a British soldier,
politician and courtier.
Cust was a younger son of the 1st Baron Brownlow and was educated at the Royal Military
College. In 1810, he joined the 16th Regiment of Light Dragoons as a cadet and was Captain of
the 5th Regiment of Dragoon Guards from 1816 and Major of the 55th Regiment of Foot from 1821.
From 1818, Cust sat in Parliament as MP for Grantham until 1826 and then for Lostwithiel from
1826-32. In 1831, he was awarded the KCH by William IV for his military service, and in 1835 he
was appointed as one of the Royal Commissioners for reporting on the plans offered by
competitors for rebuilding the Houses of Parliament.
In 1845, Queen Victoria appointed him Assistant Master of the Ceremonies and was promoted as
Master of the Ceremonies in 1847. In 1876, he was made a baronet. The Cust Baronetcy, of
Leasowe Castle in the County of Chester, was created in the Baronetage of the United Kingdom
on 26 February 1876 for Edward Cust. He was the younger son of Brownlow Cust, 1st Baron
Brownlow, and had earlier represented Grantham and Lostwithiel in the House of Commons. The
title became extinct on the death of the first Baronet's grandson, the third Baronet, in 1931.
The Cust family later sold Leasowe Castle in 1911 to the Trustees of the Railway