The name Bebington derives from the Saxons. The word "Bebba"
translates to "Protector " and "ton" translates into "Settlement ".
Loosely meaning protector of the settlement. Another theory is that
"Bebba" could have been an Anglo Saxon War Chief, which then
translates to... Settlment of Bebba.
The Borough of Bebington has only been in existence since 1937, when a
charter of incorporation was granted and the new coat of arms was
used. There is very little documentation or recording of anything in the
early periods for the area of Bebington. It was never mentioned in the
dooms day book but many of the surrounding villages were :
Eastham, Poulton, Raby, Storeton, and Thornton Hough to name a few.
One can only assume that at this time Bebington as we know it was
poorly inhabited and the local area was a mishmash of small villages and
The first record of Bebingtons existence is recorded in 1090 when Hugh de Boidele confirms the
possession of Great Bebington and Poulton to Robert de Lancelyn. After this the manor along with its
neighbour Spital, descends through the Lancelyn family to the 16th century where it is passed by
marriage to the Greene family. The marriage between the Elizabeth Lancelyn and Randle Greene took
place in 1570. Randle subsequently became Lord of Poulton Lancelyn and Bebington in right of his wife.
Two centuries later the family line died out. In 1792 a junior branch of the family, the "Kents" who were
well known in Congleton Cheshire for some time, assumed the name of the family and their coat of arms
of the Greene family.
The parish registers of Bebbington begin in 1558 and from then until around the ninetieth century very
little is recorded of Bebingtons history. We know that the area was nothing more than a small Hamlet
and that it played no part in any military encounters including the civil war. The importance of Bebington
was highlighted during the boom of Birkenhead and Liverpool. The residents of Bebington realised that
they were strategically placed on the road from Chester to Birkenhead, bringing with it an abundance of
trade, wealth and goods. In the early part of the century as many as 30 coaches per day passed
through the village from Liverpool to Birkenhead and on to Chester.
Hot on the heals of the coach traffic was the Birkenhead to Chester railway that opened in 1840, which
again helped with trade and showed a dramatic increase in population. This was the busiest time in
Bebingtons history, with a mass of goods and trade flowing through it. Within four years the New
Chester Road was built, and locals realised that they were now being bypassed to some extent. Some
locals believed that this would be the end of trade and wealth for Bebington but inexplicably the
population slowly increased. Bebington was still a small trading village and many merchants from
Birkenhead and Liverpool chose to live, trade and work there. As a result the village saw the erection of
many new homes and villas a lot of which still remain today. Houses such as Abbots Grange,
Brackenwood, Laurel House and Pennant house which is now the municipal building.
Bebington has been recorded in more detail since the early 1900s. We now know that Townfield Lane
was once used for herding cattle up and down. The fields around the oval, Bebington cemetery and
some nearby housing estates were used for cattle, sheep and pigs to graze in and could then be herded
down Townfield Lane. Townfield Lane now cut in half, ran in a continuous line and was a frequently used
Click here to continue to the next page Page 1 2 3 4