St Marys church stands on Church Road in the centre of Upton and was constructed in 1868
by William Innman of Upton Manor at his own expense of approximately £4000. The fabric
was erected from designs of John Cunningham, a notorious architect from Liverpool. The
church has a somewhat stunted appearance which differed from most churches. The main
walls are low, and surmounted by a low pitched roof which borders a small tower. The
stained glass windows inside show representations of the lats supper, and the resurrection.
The West window shows the crucifixion of Jesus and this was put at the request of William
Innman. In addition Mr Innman also gave the internal fixtures of the church including pews,
tables and a splendid organ. The chiming clock inside was installed in 1912 as a memorial to
the late Reverend E D Ward.
Within the church a marble tablet is dedicate to William Innman and reads as follows:
"In memory of William Innman of Upton Manor, the munificent benefactor of this church and
parish. The pioneer of steamship emigration. Both in his public life and in his social relations, an
upright, generous, ad just man, exemplifying the psalmists words. He that sweareth unto his
neighbour and dissapointeth him not, though it were to his own hindrance. Born 6th April 1825;
died 3rd July 1881".
The pinnacles on the top of the tower became unsafe and were removed in 1932. An
extension to the church, linking it to the old school and church hall was built more recently in
1977. St Marys is still regularly visited by its parishioners and stands Grade II listed over
looking the village centre.