In 1857 William Inman began construction of Upton Manor which was completed in 1860.  
Originally he named the property
"Harefield House" until William Inman bought the lordship
of the manor of Upton from Thomas Webster.  In 1875 the house was extended to include a
viewing tower which enabled the onlooker to enjoy boastful view across the River Mersey.  
Being in the shipping industry one can only surmise that William Inman built the tower for the
purpose of viewing his vessels on the Mersey.  This was not uncommon at the time as many
merchants built their house on steep hills or had extensions to allow views across the Mersey
or Dee.  
William Inman operated his shipping company from the Manor House and continued
to pour money into the infrastructure of Upton until his death on 3rd July 1881.

After Inmans death the house remained empty until another shipping owner called Ralph
Leyland bought it three years later.  A decade later Mr Leyland moved to Liverpool because of
unresolvable financial problems.  The grand house was let to Colonel Robinson who lived
there for a period of three years.  Following Colonel Robinson's departure, the house was
again empty for four years, until 1902 when Ralph Leyland returned having boosted his
finances through the shipping and merchant industry.  Ralph Leyland remained in the house
but could not forego his financial problems.  Having sold off most of the land and the houses
decor to raise funds he finally sold the house off in 1910 to Mr Stern.  Mr Sterns funds were
substantially greater than his predecessor and within a couple of years he began work on
another extension.  Mr Stern lived a full and hearty life at the Manor until his death in 1950.

In 1951 the FCJ sisters from Upton Hall bought the house to provide additional boarding
space.  In 1959 the manor was used as a local junior school  Sadly in 1984 due to the cost of
upkeep of maintenance on the building, the FCJ sisters closed the junior school and the manor
house once again was empty.    

Three years later in 1987 McCarthy Stone bought the house and converted it into a nursing
home.  They added a new wing to the building built to be in keeping with the local materials.  
The building was renamed 'The Manor House'.  

In March 1974 Upton Manor along with Upton Hall was given Grade II listed status.  The
description of the Manor was as follows:

"House, now in use as nursing home. c1857. Probably by John Cunningham. Ashlar with Welsh
slate roof. 2 storeys, 4 window range, with later taller rear block with attic storey. Central entrance
in porch with paired Doric columns, flanking sash windows and full height bay window. 3 window
return elevation with central full height canted bay. Windows throughout in stressed architraves
with pedimented hoodsto ground floor. Modillion cornice to eaves, angle quoins. Rear block added
later but in similar style. 5 window range to garden front, with outer canted bay windows to ground
floor with balustraded parapets. 16 pane sash windows above. Ground floor windows have
pedimented hoods, and all are in stressed architraves. Attic storey with segmentally arched
dormers breaking the eaves line. Belvedere tower with triple round arched windows and low
pyramidal door to rear. Axial stacks."
Upton Manor