MENU
Upton Hall and the manor of Upton where bought from the Bolds family who had held the
manor for six generations going back to Robert Davies in 1614.  The present Upton Hall was
built in the early 19th century by the Webster family who were the lords of the manor of Upton.
 The Hall was later rented and occupied by Thomas Inman in 1854, who stayed at the hall in
order to over see the construction of Upton Manor.  

In 1863 the FCJ sisters bought Upton Hall from the Webster family.  Immediate construction of
a dwelling next to the Hall began and within a year the FCJ sisters had constructed a boarding
school which can be seen on the left in the above photograph.  The FCJ sisters still operate
Upton Hall School, but since 1972 it has been a day school only.  In 1998 Upton convent was
closed and the building was taken over by the school to provide additional teaching space.  
The last FCJ sister to live in the convent was Sister Mary Joseph Pemberton.

The hall still stands today and has a grade II listed status.  It was given the following
description:

"House, now part of school. c1840. Stucco over brick, roof not visible behind parapet. 2 storeys,
square in plan with central entrance hall. Symmetrical 3-window range with central doorway in
portico porch with paired Tuscan columns flanked by 16-pane sash windows. Window over door in
moulded architrave with entablature. Moulded cornice and blocking course over. Sill band returns to
plain sashed side elevations. Axial stack."
Upton Hall 1932 also known as Upton Convent