MENU
In the premises of the popular Prenton Bowling club, a community church was established in 1887 to serve the
neighbourhood. This soon became affiliated to the Congregational Church, eventually to become the Prenton
United Reformed Church of today.  The site chosen for its permanent premises was at the junction of Storeton Road
and Prenton Road West, on the border of the then County Borough of Birkenhead.  In 1901 this formed the
terminus of an electric tram route from the centre of town and the two roads have remained important local
arteries of communication ever since.

The church is built from a light hand carved sand stone and is inspired by a Gothic look.  The church has seen much
renovation over the years and it clear that some of the large stained glass windows have been removed and
replaced with a modern brick leaving two large discoloured arches as shown above.  

The United Reformed Church (URC) is a Christian denomination in Great Britain. The URC is the result of a union
between the Presbyterian Church of England and the Congregational Church in England and Wales in 1972 and
subsequent unions with the Re-formed Association of Churches of Christ in 1981 and the Congregational Union of
Scotland in 2000.  The United Reformed Church comprises about 150 000 adults and 100 000 children in about
1900 congregations.
Additional Pictures: