MENU
St Marys Church is at the heart of Eastham Village.  
It was erected in 1150 from fine sand stone blocks.  
It was around this time in 1152 that Eastham and
Brombrough finally became to separate entity's with
separate priests and churches.  Until this time
Brombrough would have been the head area with
only a small chapel being used in Eastham.  

As you walk towards the church the grounds are still
well preserved and the reddish tint of the church
walls give a Victorian charm to the building.  The
grounds of the church contain an ancient
Yew Tree.  
It is said to be over
1500 years old and there is
possible interest of it appearing in the Guinness book
of records.  

Very little is left of the original medieval church, the
oldest looking would be the magnificent and very
distinctive broach spire which dates back to 1152
having been restored in 1752.  This spire is only of
only 2 in Wirral.  After that the late 1800s most of the
South side of the chancel and the North wall of the
church were completely rebuilt.  The list of Vicars at
Eastham can be found with their names inscribed on
the South wall of the church dating back as early as
1316.  

Inside the church the font is of great interest and is
said to date back to Saxon or early Norman times.  
The organ case in the South isle of the church has 3
ancient shields carved into it.  These are the arms of
Poole, Buerton and Capenhurt.   
Within the church parish are several very important grave stones, two of which worth noting are dated
1612 and 1662. They read as follows...

"
William Stanley of Hooton was buried heare the fourth of January the yeare of our Lord God 1612. Death
restes in the ende.  His wife Anne Herbert, and left by her livinge one son, and six daughters.  Death
Miseries".

The lid of the other altar tomb is supported by six pillars, and is inscribed,

"
Here lyeth the body of the honourable Charlotte Lady Stanley, wife to Sir William Stanley of Hooton bart, and
daughter to the right honourable Richard lord Viscount Molyneux, who deceased the 31st day of July 1662.  
Requiescat in peace".

And another brass plate on the same tomb reads...

"
Here Lyeth the body of Sir Rowland Stanley of Hooton knt, who deceased the 5th day of April a1613 and
was buried here the 23rd day of the same month in the yeare of his age 96".

In the grounds of the church is a fine liche gate presented by the late E.H. Harrison Esq who also
erected a fine house at Plimyard.  To the East of the Church are two grave stones, one erected in the
memory of John Linford, a servant in the Stanley family for over 80 years.  The other in memory of
Margaret turnbull, another servant of the Stanley family who worked for over 60 years.