|"Soon after passing Brombrough Hall a stile path on the left leads over some well farmed fields,
pleasantly timbered, and delightful in spring when the sap is rising and the buds are showing and
ready to burst into leaf in the morning sunshine; or in autumn when the sad time of the year is
approaching and autumnal tints are glided by the evening sun.
It is but a short walk across these fields and the Eastham wood is entered, one of the few natural
woods remaining in Wirral open to the public to ramble in; and passing between the tress the
pedestrian soon issues at the Old Carlett, or Eastham Ferry, which in the early coaching days, the
favourite route between Chester and Liverpool. Indeed in those days Easthams Inns must have been
busy places, for as many as twenty coaches well filled with passengers passed through the village
- An extract from The Perambulation of the Hundred of Wirral 1909.
Eastham Village Life
The original village which has been inhabited since Saxon times is clustered around St. Marys church,
whose churchyard contains an ancient yew tree. The village was originally surrounded on all four
sides by finely timbered parks, with handsome villas and mansions. At the time of the Norman
conquest the manor was retained by Hugh Lupus, and Eastham stood at the head of his possessions,
being the largest and most valuable place in Wirral.
During the middle ages Easthams surrounding area would have been heavily wooded and attracted
much attention. We know that Eastham being under rule of S.Werburgas abbey was granted special
releave by charter for the Master Forester of Wirral from all forest dues and putures. The puture was
the provision of food and lodging for the foresters when perambulating the bounds of the forest. This
was one of the most oppressive of the fuedal dues. Eastham remained in tghe possession of the
abbey un til the dissolution when it was granted to the dean and chapter. It then changed hands
into the Cottons family, until it was sold to Sir Rowland Stanley of Hooton. Some time later it was sold
by Sir William Stanley to Richard Naylor Esq.
Eastham became an important crossing point of the Mersey. From the Middle Ages a ferry service
operated across the river to Liverpool, an early ferry Job's ferry was run by monks from the Abbey of
St Werburgh in Chester. Eastham was a famous posting centre and at one time several dozen
coaches a day and both goods and passengers would arrive. The coaches ran from Birkenhead,
Chester, Warrington, and Cheltenham until this service was suspended by the invention and
implimentation of the steam engine. In 1816 a paddle steamer service was introduced replacing the
sailboats but the service fell into decline as an important link with the opening of the Chester to
Birkenhead railway and the ferry terminal at Woodside.
In the 1801 census the population of Eastham was 348, equalling Tranmere and surpassed only by
Neston. In 1845 it had risen to 370. At this time there were 3 recoded dwellings with licenses to sell
alcohol. The Eastham Hotel, The Stanley Arms Hotel and The Hooton Arms.
Eastham Village 1900s
Eastham Village 1910
|Eastham School Empire Day 1905
|Priory Road Eastham, 1910