MENU
The Red Lion

No body is sure of the exact date that this building was constructed but it is thought to be in the late
16th century.  The building was most likely a buiilt as a single dwelling building for the wealthy owner.  
It bears a terracotta house-plate of  J.B. M.B.1631, the date is thought to mark the original year the
building was enlarged, or substantially improved by John Bennett, who lived in the Old hall across the
village green.  

In later life in the 18th Century, it was heavly renovated and occupied as two cottages.  In the 19th
Century these two dwellings were joined together to become the licensed premises known as The Red
Lion.  In 1928 the premises ceased to be a public house, but the last licensee Mr. J.W. Moss continued
to live there until the late 1960s.  Mr. Nigel Worth and his family moved in after it became vacant, and
started a major renovation.  It is a private residence today.

Harold Edgar Young in 1909 writes:
"Before newspapers existed the inn was a sort of newsroom where the villagers came to drink their ale and
learn the latest news.  It would be here that the pureitan would cast sour glances at the cavalier as he left
the inn, and it would be here too that the news of the battle of Marston Moor would be learned and of the
trial and executio of King Charles the 1st".  

Please note that some of this information was taken from
this Willaston Website.
The Red Lion 2009
Date Plate of 1631
Gable End
The old door
Front View