Todays maps refer to this location as Poulton Bridge, however its full name was the Half Penny Bridge. In 1843 a small wooden bridge was built across the water ways where todays bridge still stands. It stern construction allowed free moving traffic above it but at the same time had a mechanism to allow it to open for maritime vessels to pass through. The fee to cross the bridge was a Half Penny, which is where the name derives from. The picture above shows the bridge in the early 1900s with the toll house in the right hand side of the image. With the boom in industry during the early 1900s the area around the bridge was bought out by the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board who transformed the area into a large dock area which we see today. By doing this the pool was significantly reduced in size and the waters edge and flow was tamed heavily. Over the years the dock area has seen many developments and much money invested in it, including some future proposed works by peel holdings which should transform the face of Wirrals docklands beyond recognition over the next 50 years.