Seacombe Railway Station
It was the terminus of a small
branch line that ran from Seacombe
Junction to opposite the ferry
terminal at Seacombe, adjacent to
the River Mersey. It was opened on
1 June 1895 as part of the Wirral
Railway, with only one other station
(Liscard and Poulton) on the stretch
of line. The station's single platform
was largely of timber construction
with a small wooden waiting shelter
near the exit. An additional platform
was on the site, but was never
used as the adjacent line was for
the turning round of steam
locomotives. The station buildings
were constructed of corrugated iron.
This was intended as a temporary
measure, pending the building of a
more permanent station adjoining
the ferry terminal.
The small village started out life as a small number
of dwellings situated at the mouth of the Wallasey
Pool. Most of its inhabitants would have been
fisherman and framers who had deliberately
settled there for its natural resources of the close
proximity of the Pool. The word "Seacombe" is of
Celtic origin and translates into...
"Valley near the Coastline".
The village of Seacombe was always joined with
the small hamlet of Poulton next door and is
recorded on many early maps as Poulton Cum
Seacombe for such reasons. The original
landscape of Seacombe was large open valleys
which lapped around the waterways of the
Wallasey Pool. There are records and maps of
wonderful lush valleys covered with ferns and
large oak trees looking down across the water
ways of the lands. The names of the area also
have a somewhat romantic feel with names such
as Robinson's Creek and Oak Dale. It must have
been a great place to explore as a child and some
of the early paintings and story's confirm this.
Although Seacombe has always had a relatively
important role in the Borough it has always
remained under control of the Manor House which
was based in the next village of Poulton.
Seacombe gained its notoriety and independence
with the introduction of Seacombe Ferry in the
early 1800s. The docks of Seacombe have been a
hive of activity of the years and played an
important role in the development of Maritime
trade in the area.
On 1 July 1901 Seacombe became Seacombe & Egremont, then reverted back to its original name on 5 January 1953. The
station saw regular passenger trips to Birkenhead, New Brighton and Chester with occasional specials to Wrexham and West
Kirby. However, the line was more focused on goods rather than passengers, so when the majority of the Wirral Railway
was electrified in 1938 the Seacombe branch was omitted. Passenger services ended on 4 January 1960, although goods
services continued for three further years until the station closed completely on 16 June 1963. The cutting in which the line
was situated is now the approach road to the Kingsway (Wallasey) Tunnel. Traces of the immediate approach to the station
can be found at the rear of the supermarket car park in Church Road in the form of bridge stonework and a small section of
sandstone wall at the roundabout facing the Seacombe Ferry Terminal.
The Guinea Gap
In 1849 workman in the Seacombe area discovered a small haul of old artifacts.
The findings included a small stash of coins or Guineas, an old sword and a small bone.
The coins dated to the 17th Century to the reign of William III or William of Orange as
he is better known. The area is reputed to be named after the findings and hence took
the name The Guinea Gap.
In this area a new public swimming baths was opened in the year 1908 to a cost of just
over £15,000 which was of course given the name Guinea Gap. The Swimming pool still
stands today although it has undergone many alterations and heavy refurbishment.
19th Century Seacombe
The map above shows Seacombe between 1830 and 1851 with the white edge representing the River Mersey. The main
road which appears to run through from the left to right is Victoria Road or which is today known as Borough Road. We can
see that most of the buildings are clustered along this route where it meets Brighton street. The road then heads down to
the buildings at the waters edge which is of course Seacombe Ferry. You may also note that there are still several pools of
water and marches on the map which shows that much of the area is still very rural and open to development.