Saughall Massey is one of the few small villages that has managed to keep its charm. It has been
designated a conservation area and the new houses have been built to fit in with the old village and to a
relative degree of success. Many of the old houses and farms still stand in the village centre and there is
a great sense of history found within.
The name "de Massie", "de Massey" or "de Mascy" has been connected to the Wirral since the time of the
Norman Conquest. Baron Hamon de Mascey, whose family came from the settlement of Mascey near
Avranches, Normandy, established Birkenhead Priory in 1150. His relations were the Massey's of Sale,
who settled on the Wirral during the reign of King John (1166 - 1216). They were supposed to have
given their name to the small village of Saughall Massie, but many argue that the name Saughall Massie
has been derived from the meaning "Willow-tree nook of land". Formerly a township in the Bidston Parish
of the Wirral Hundred and at one the Eastham parish, the population of Saughall Massie and the nearby
hamlet of Carr Houses was 98 in 1801, 176 in 1851 and 186 in 1901 according to censuses.
In 1847 whilst exploring Wirral, Mortimer wrote:
"It is difficult to conceive what could have induced the old historian Webb to describe Saughall Massey as a
"Very Gallant Lordship". It is in every respect; if possible; worse than the adjacent township of Moreton with
which from an early period, it has been united, and with which under the same conveyances, it became the
property of Mr Vyner, all the tenantry of both townships doing service at his manor court, held a Bidston".
In 1889 Philip Sulley wrote the following after a journey to Saughall Massey Village:
"The township of Saughall Massey situated some 6 miles from Birkenhead now forms part of the Moreton
Parish. The tithes (taxes) are payable to the reverend M Fearnley, and the children attend the parish schools.
There are 942 acres with a valuation of £1622 10sm and a population of 191. In 1801 the population was 98;
in 1845 152 and the value £842. There are 30 dwelling houses, and one licensed "The Saughall Arms".
The township is not mentioned in Doomsday, but like Moreton, was a portion of the Barony of the Massey's of
Dunham Massey whence the name. It has now passed into the possession of the R.C.D Vyner Esq who is the
lord of the manor and chief land owner. There are few free holders, and three farms of 100 acres.
The township gave rise to a family represented by Henry de Salghal in the 13th century. In 1323 Lucy wife of
Robert, son of Henry de Salghal obtained by fine from Richard the Earl, a tenement in Salghal Masey. There is
nothing of interest in the township, which is mainly agricultural. Two farm houses bear dates respectively
1714 and 1728".