Located in Mostyn Square, St Thomas's is a Grade II listed sandstone church that has served the village since the middle of the 19th century. It is built in the centre of a Conservation Area which ensures the charm of the old port and village is safeguarded. Traditional associations with the fishing community have led to St Thomas´s being known, affectionately, as the ‘Fisherman´s Church´. The building is built from Welsh sandstone and contains many interesting features. The windows built into an arch shape are patterned with iron bars shaped into the petals of flowers.
This unusual old building was built in 1843 to a Gothic style at the request of benefactor George Rawson from Yorkshire. The chapels construction was paid for by a combination of Mr Rawson's pockets and the local community. The upkeep was based upon charitable donations from visitors and from large sum of money given by local sugar merchant R.A Macfie. In 1858 Mr Macfie bought the chapel and converted it into a Presbyterian church. In 1884 a larger Presbyterian church opened in Neston closer to where Mr Macfie lived and subsequently this small building became obsolete, being used for only minor functions through the year. In 1910 the Church of England began to lease the building for their congregation. The idea proved so successful that in 1917 they purchased the Chapel and named it after Saint Thomas. The building was closed in 1994 due to its unsafe structure. A trust was formed of local residents in 2001 and launched the following year. The Trust has leased the building to repair and refurbish it and to turn it into a dual purpose Community hall and Church for Parkgate. Today money is still needed for the ongoing works, you can read more about the project or make a donation by clicking here.