This large and well proportioned house sits on the promenade with its gable overlooking the estuary at great views
across the Welsh Hills. It was built in 1903 being a somewhat modern villa, by architect W.A. Thomas; who was also the
designer of the famous Liver Buildings on the Mersey. The house was originally named Bleak House by Mr Thomas after
the Charles Dickens novel of which he was a great fan. It is reputed that the large stone wall was built by Mr Thomas in
the 1920's to stop passers by from looking into the property and in particular at his three young and supposed beautiful
daughters. The house later adapted the name Brooke House in the 20th century.