The name of Claughton is of Norse origin, deriving from the term Klakkr-tun, meaning "settlement on a
hillock". A hillock is a small hill usually separated from a larger group of hills such as a range. Hillocks are
similar in their distribution and size to small mesas or buttes. The topography of Claughton and the Nordic
influence on the area seems to prove the name correct in its origin. The name was first noted in 1260 as
'klakkr tün', later it became Claghton in 1272; Clatton in 1282; Clayton 1303 eventually becoming
Claughton as we know it today.
Little is written about Claughton Manor House which was built c1830 by local benefactor Sir William
Jackson, with its pleasure gardens designed by the now famous Sir Joseph Paxton. The old house
occupied a site between Egerton Road and Manor Hill until it was pulled down in the 1930s. The name
Manor hill is obviously referring to the building in question.
Another historical building in the area is the Birkenhead Institute, which was founded in 1889 by a local
philanthropist George Atkin. George established the school as a commercial company with shareholders
and directors. The school was originally situated in Whetstone Lane, Birkenhead, however it was later
relocated to premises on Tollemache Road in Claughton until its closure and subsequent demolition in the
1990s. Wilfred Owen, the World War One poet attended the school at its original location in Birkenhead.
and a residential road has been named after him on the Tollemache Road site as a dedication.
Philip Sulley in 1907 writes the following about Claughton:
"Of the manor of Claughton little or nothing is recorded. It does not occur in the Doomsday book, but formed an
appanage of the priory of Birkenhead from which it may be concluded that it was previously a part of the lands of
the Barons of Dunham Massey. The grange or Monastery Farm, was mainly situate within its bounds, although
the farmhouse was in Birkenhead. At the dissolution it was passed to the Worsleys, and from them to the
family of price, in the same manner as Birkenhead. The greater portion was purchased by Sir William Jackson
who erected the manor house, a large building in Italian style, now occupied by Thomas Hughes Jackson Esq".
"An old hall which stood on what is now called Cannon Hill until about 1840, and which appears to have" been of
some antiquity and interest, was occupied early in the century by David Claughton, a member of the Lancashire
family, of which the Bishop of St Albans is the chief representative".