Bromborough Court House
The old Court House (later named Court House Farm) at Bromborough Pool was built on the site of the
old Monks Manor on the West side of the area. The building which has long since been demolished was
built from both brick and stone, having been decorated with armorial designs all around. The date stone
on the old building bore the inscription 1676 showing its construction. Despite this the house showed
signs of an earlier construction which leads us to the conclusion that it was built on top of or as part of
an earlier dwelling. The building had extravagant bay windows and large gables. The shape was
described as one long unit with a wing protruding forwards at each end. It was the House. The shape
was described as one long unit with a wing protruding forwards at each end. It was the stone verged
gables of these wings which form the dominant feature of the house. The court house building was
three storeys high and contained an outfitted loft room.
The inside of the house had wooden oak panelling which was consistent with the time and wealth
associated with the residence. Four of the wooden panels were very finely carved with vignettes or
busts, two male and two female, which form the style of dress and coverings of the head and shoulder
are from Henry VIII, o Edwards VI reign. Upstairs over the main fireplace are three panels carved into
the stone wall. Into the stone walls were carved extraordinary characters of an elephant, a lion, a
castle, a crown, a dragon and a spear. Over the door way was displayed the coat of arms with lilies of
Frances quartered upon it. This certainly gives credit to strong rumour about the house involving king
For centuries the locals have told stories about how in 1644 Charles I army was broken and routed at
the battle of Roowton Moor. It is said that he fled from the scene and stayed for one night in Wirral.
This house is said to be where Charles stayed over night before moving on in the morning with a small
group of companions. This story would also fit in with the fact that the court house was built on top of
an earlier building, but not to be confused with the old manor which was much earlier.
The court house showing the date stone of 1676 was built by the Hardwares family of Chester. The
Hardware family occupied the building until the early 1900s when the building was split in two. The east
section of the house was occupied by a local farmer, whilst the West was occupied by a private resident.
The large house, like many others; fell into disrepair and was demolished in the early 20th century. The
area which the court house formerly stood is now covered with modern day commercial and industrial
works at the top of Pool Lane.
|The image below shows children playing in the snow outside of the old Court House
|The 1840 Tithe map above shows the Court House outlined red