Tranmere's rocky foundation is made from Triassic sandstone, which in the township is relatively free from
pebbles. It has been extensively quarried although now all of them are completely sealed and built over.
There were once seven quarries in the township, two in the village, one in Quarry Bank just off Whetstone
Lane, and four abutting the northern half of Old Chester Road. There main advantage, and one which
persisted for many centuries, was the fact that the sandstone is both sponge and filter, holding an
abundant supply of pure water readily accessible by the sinking of shallow wells.
As a quarrying centre Hinderton or Lower Tranmere, had real advantages. In the 1840's there were four
quarries nearby, and at least one had by that time been worked to a depth of over 50 feet and a vast
amount of stone removed. The Bunter sandstone here is hard and almost free from pebbles and
the location of the quarries on a slope must have reduced the chance of flooded workings. Stone had
always been costly to move about, especially by road and rail so that Hinderton quarries, conveniently
close to a ferry had a great advantage over quarries situated further inland, Given reasonably good river
transport they could have supplied better than any other workings on Merseyside, facing or interior rubble
for early dock walls, the stone for ferry slipways and house building. Thomas Brassey, the constructor of
New Chester Road, paid rates for Tranmere quarries in the 1830's. The quarries were sealed up in the
20th century and now lie burried beneath urban developments.