MENU
The great cutting was the main entrance to the North Quarry and it was here that the Storeton
tramway opened in 1838.  The line serviced three quarries, Storeton North, Storeton South and Jackie’
s Wood Quarry, which was on the East side of Mount Road.  It started at the North Quarry, then past
the South Quarry, over Rest Hill Road, through Hancock’s Wood and into the 60 yard tunnel under
Mount Road.  It emerged in Jackie’s Wood Quarry.  Then it went across Bracken Lane, Cross Lane and
Church Road (near to St Andrews Church) and onto the Quay at Bromborough Pool.  There was also
a branch line onto the Birkenhead to Chester line for works further afield.  From the quarries to Mount
Road the wagons were hauled by horses, but from then on they were propelled by gravity at speeds
of up to twenty miles per hour.  Horses would then provide the transport power for the return
journey at a more safe speed.  At its peak the old journey time of three weeks had been reduced to
less than 30 minutes by changing from horse drawn road wagons to a railway.
Storeton quarry is the site of an old sandstone quarry, dating back to Roman times and still 60
metres (197 feet) deep in the early 20th century.  In the 19th century, a tramway was opened to
take the stone down to the docks.  This went downhill by gravity and was then pulled back up by
horses.   A full journey from start to finish was generally about
3 weeks to cover the trip of two and a
half miles.  This was due to breakdowns and the need for blocks to be cut to ease handling.  The use
of horse drawn wagons was a slow methodical process which often had its dangers resulting in many
accidents.

As time went by technology advanced and the idea of constructing a tramway was born.  The idea
was proposed in the late 1820’s, after George Stephenson visited the quarries.  He was looking for
some additional stone to complete the Sankey Viaduct, and noticed the slow process of the quarry
methods.  Construction of the Storeton line began in April 1837 and was completed in August 1838 at
a cost of £12,000.  The original name was "Sir Thomas Massey Stanley’s Railway" or "The Stourton
Railway" which was the original spelling of village.  It was only in the late period of its life that the
name was known universally as the Storeton Tramway.
During the Second World War, the
Mount Road tunnel was converted into
an air raid shelter by a local man named
Mr Jacques.  He fitted bunk beds and a
heavily protective door.  Luckily no
bombs struck the tunnel which means
we will never know if the door would
have done its job.  Stone excavations
were carried out later at this site which
caused a collapse and it became two
shorter tunnels.

As the years passed,  so to did the
remains of the tramway.  Now they are
covered by 30 acres of woodland and
scrub known as Storeton Woods.  
Visible parts of the cutting which
approaches the west entrance to the
Mount Road tunnel can still be seen, as
can parts of the cutting to the North
quarry.  Further investigation around
the area also reveals the stone sleeper
blocks used to secure the rail, which are
distinguishable by four bolt holes.  
Stone from the quarry can be seen in
many major buildings, including
Birkenhead Town Hall, Storeton Hall, St
Andrews Church, and the Sankey
Viaduct in Lancashire.   
The line stopped at the
North Quarry and the line
was removed.  The South
Quarry and Jackie’s Wood
Quarry were the only active
ones.  The last wagon was
in 1905, and the tramway
was then abandoned. The
advent of efficient powered
vehicles had been the death
of the old tramway.  In the
1920s the two disused
Storeton Quarries were filled
with spoil from the first
Mersey By the 1890’s
quarrying Tunnel, and the
woods grew up on top
covering the area in foliage.  
Jackie’s Wood quarry was
the final quarry to be filled
and this was done using
stone from the Wallasey
Tunnel.
Red Hill Storeton Woods
Storeton Woods 1911
The Old Tramway Through Storeton Woods