Storeton is  derived from the Old Norse word "Stor-tun", meaning '"Large Farmstead".  It is a
small village situated to the west of the  Bebington and is made up of Great Storeton and "Little
Storeton", which is classified as a hamlet.  Like many places in Wirral, Storeton also has a lot of
history to offer.  The small village sits on a long ridge of sandstone which gently slopes away at
a point where five roads meet  The village has an
old Hall dating back to the 14th century and
old houses and cottages are scattered around the small area.  

Little remains of much of the ancient village but records tell us that a windmill which is now
demolished, once stood in Keepers Lane overlooking the surrounding cottages.  Little Storeton
appears to have been the centre of the settlement.  This small settlement appears to have
contracted a little over the years, as house platforms are visible in the area.  When viewed from
Storeton Ridge, it can be seen that the Hall and village occupy a low but distinctive ridge of their
own, and along this ridge passes part of the Roman Road from Chester to
Wallasey Pool.  A
study of the local road system before levers causeway was built reveals how the existence of
Roman Road has influenced the lanes here.  The lane known as Roman Road has been
dismissed as the genuine article because slabs forming a packhorse track are visible along its
course.  However where the line of the lane and the Roman Road merge, the Roman Road
surface still exists about half a meter below the slab.

On the ridge above the village of Storeton is Storeton Woods, they are owned by the Friends of
Storeton Woods and cover 31 acres of land.  The woods were purchased in 1989 after a
campaign by the local Green Party as there were concerns about the deteriorating condition of
the woods and the possibility that the land might be bought by developers.  The trust later also
attempted to purchase the adjacent Hancock's Wood to extend the nature reserve by a further
25 acres but the deal with the Leverhulme estate fell through at the last minute. Although the
offer remains open there is the concern that this could lead to the eventual development of the
area of woodland for housing.  The woods contain many trails and a good array of plant and
wildlife.  A closer investigation into the wood reveals the remains of an old
quarry and tramway
built to transport the stone.

Red Hill was an area of the woods where there was a well known and much visited old gate.  It
is said that couple’s frequently used to hold hands over the gate and make a wish.  This
became known locally as
"the Wishing gate".  From this point on Red Hill, the couples could see right out across the river
Dee estuary and across to the other direction was Mount Road.  In the early 20th century
Mount road was nothing more than a dirt track used by local farmers and workers at the

One fact that many people do not know about Storeton its that for around 200 years Storeton
was the base of the tyrannical Master Forrester of Wirral.  A name that struck fear into many of
the locals and complicated the lives of the many poorer classes of the area.  Originally the Wirral
was declared a forest by Randle de Maschines, the 3rd Earl of Chester between 1120 and
1129.  The fact that the Wirral was now classed as a forest meant that many new strict laws
came into place.  The most notorious was the protection of all deer and game within the Wirral
which was only allowed to be hunted by the Earl or anyone who had been given special
permission by his office.  In addition it was forbidden to fell trees, dig pits, grow crops, cultivate
land or build dwellings outside of the designated areas.  Those living in or around the forrest
were not allowed to own grey hounds and their dogs had to have their nails removed in order
to stop potential damage to local game.  These laws brought a hatred of the Earls and the laws
that followed.  

One law which proved extremely unpopular was one which stated that the township and
everybody in it was responsible for any game found dead within the forest and punishments
could be spread throughout all of the  residents.  One well documented case was in 1347 when
the township was fined £184 for forest offences, and 1357 fines for new ploughings, felling of
trees, and building of dwellings outside of designated areas totalled more than £1000.  
Punishments for killing game were extremley serious and included blinding with red hot pokers
and the amputation of the perpetrators 2 bow fingers.  To enforce the laws which came with
the new status of forest the Earl created the position of Master Forrester.  

The first holder of this position was known as Alan Sylvester who had a tall job enforcing the
whole of the peninsula.  As a result he created the position of under-forester to help him
enforce these laws. Six people were employed in this post, all reporting directly to Sylvester.  
The Abuse of power and the lawlessness in which these enforcer operated are widespread and
highly recorded.  Indeed after a short period of time theft, corruption, beatings and blackmail
became regular play in their day to day dealings.  To add insult to injury the people who lived
within the forest (now the whole peninsula) had to pay a tax known as "puture", unfortunately
for the local population it was the Master Forrester and his six under-foresters who collected
these taxes.  

A symbol of authority had to be given to these men, and thus the Earl created what is known as
"The Wirral Horn".  The horn was presented to the Master Forrester and still exists today,
however its new home is across the Channel in Jersey.  The horn passed down through
generations to the Earl of Cromer, descended through the female line of the Sylvesters who
now live on the island.  The horn was placed on official documentation related to the Master
Forester and his men and descriptions remain of the foresters uniforms which were said to be
emblazed with the Wirral Horn upon their surcoats.  After the death of Sylvester the position
passed to his son Ralph.  However upon his death he had no sons and as a result the office
was passed to his son in law and from there on through many generations.  In 1360 the Master
Forrester was the notorious William Stanley the 1st who built himself a throne of power in the
area, this was known as Storeton Hall.  In 1376  King Edward III granted Wirral a charter of
disafforrestation removing its status and all laws associated with it.   The Stanleys stayed
within Wirral and became synonymous with the lands until becoming the Earls of Derby which
were to play a great part in the history of Wirral at a later date.

It is ironic then that the Horn of Wirral which for hundreds of years was a feared and loathed
sign, associated with so much misery and pain; is now the sign permanently associated with
Wirral.  It is apparent that many people within the peninsula do not know of its origins or uses
and the tyranny which it upheld.
Rest Hill - Storeton
Storeton Farm Building
Keepers Cottage Storeton
A Now Derelict Cottage in Storeton
Home Farm Storeton
Additional Pictures:
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Additional Pictures:
Little Storeton Farm
The Grange Cottages
Chestnut Villa