As with the neighbouring settlement of Rock Ferry to the north, a ferry service gave its name to the this area
which formed part of Lower Bebbington. The first recorded mention of New Ferry dates back far as 1774.
Additionally, on 4 April 1865, a "South End" service was established between New Ferry and a dock basin in the
southern dock system of Liverpool, although this appeared to be relatively short-lived.
From 1879, services to Liverpool Pier Head were usually augmented with Rock Ferry. The ferry service was
forced to close after a ship collided with New Ferry Pier in thick fog, in the early hours of 30 January 1922. This
was just one of many ferries operating across the Mersey to the docks at Liverpool. Three ferry boats,
including a paddle steamer, were at one time moored at the Pier Head to allow passengers to come and go.
The ferries used to operate successfully from New Brighton, Egremont, Rock Ferry, New Ferry, Seacombe,
Birkenhead and Eastham. When the ferry service to Eastham ended in 1929, it marked the last use of paddle
steamer ferries on the River Mersey. Due to declining passenger numbers, improved local land-based public
transport and a close proximity to the Rock Ferry service, the New Ferry terminus never reopened. The lease
on the Ferry Rights officially expired on 22 September 1927, although no service had operated at New Ferry for
over five years as a result of the collision. A very successful tram terminus ran throughout New Ferry which
won admiration from the local populous. Transport began to improve significantly in the latter part of the
century particularly because New Ferry is situated on the A41 which was the main road between Birkenhead
and London prior to the introduction of motorways, and immediately adjacent to the village of Port Sunlight.
Mortimer in 1847 writes:
"New Ferry distant from Bebbington church about a mile and a half, and from George's dock Liverpool nearly three
miles, though established for many years , has never had any steam boats attached to it, and is comparatively of
little importance. Immediately opposite are several old men of war, which have been dismantled and are now used
as lazarettoes, or floating warehouses for the reception of goods arriving from Egypt etc liable to quarantine. Many
relaxations in the quarantine laws have latterly taken place, and these vessels are now principally employed in airing
rags and wool im ported from the Levant and cotton from Alexandria; of the latter about 50,000 bales arrive
annually, which under the existing regulations require about thirty days exposure in the lazarettoes.
To the Southward of New Ferry, on a raised terrace is a number of elegant detached houses with gardens, pleasure
grounds etc; which u until the last few years were only let in the summer months. The regularity of the steam
packets from Rock Ferry has materially enhanced their value and they are now eagerly sought for and inhabited
during the whole year; and the entire township evidences increasing prosperity. Several clusters of new houses are
now being built, each equal in extent to the old village, which is situated about 3 miles from Birkenhead on the direct
road to Chester. It contains a number of small houses, presenting nothing worthy of notice, except Bebbington