Press "BACK" on your
browser to return to
the previous page.
The original promenade at New Brighton had a line of huts known as tea pot row where the gentry who were on their
morning walk could call in and by refreshments. In 1871 this was demolished to allow greater access to the large influx of
crowds coming on the ferry's for a day trip. A group of businessman get together and built a row of shops which housed
tea rooms, sweet ships, shooting gallery's and arcades. It was extremely popular and generated great revenue from the
tourists. Unfortunately the drainage system was extremely poor and they would back up and run directly into where they
were selling food such as the Ham and Egg stalls. There was also another serious problem which was kept out of the lime
light; in that the woman would frequently try and accost local young men in the back rooms or maze of stalls. This area
quickly gained notoriety and was nick named The Ham & Egg Parade. Eventually the Ham and Egg parade was taken
down at the request of the gentry who claimed that the passage was so thin that they could not walk more than 100m
without beings accosted. Sadly in 1907 the structure was demolished.