MENU
The Grade II listed building of Gayton Hall is situated inn the centre of the village and dates back to
the 17th century; having been built originally from locally quarried stone.  In 1750 it is recorded as
being modernised and encased in fine red brick giving it the appearance of a brick-built Georgian
house.  It is known to have been built on an earlier moated site of which few records can be found.

William Mortimer in 1847 describes the following:

"Gayton Hall, the seat of the Gleggs, is a handsome building facing the broad estuary of the river Dee and
well sheltered with trees.  Its hospitable doors were always open to the many travellers between this
kingdom and Ireland, when Dawpool, Parkgate and the western shores of Wirral were the favourite places
for embarkation to Ireland.  Among its more distinguished visitors may be mentioned King William III
who slept there in 1689, who conferred the honour of knighthood upon its then occupier and owner
William Glegg Esq.  The outbuildings attached to the hall are very extensive, and were originally protected
by a deep moat.  The mansion is at present, occupied by a gentleman of Liverpool".     

Gayton Hall is today a private dwelling and although an important piece of our history its should be
respected by the same privileges as any private dwelling .  
This dovecot at Gayton Hall was used in
the Post Medieval period to rear doves
& pigeons for food.
Gayton Hal in the 1970's.  
Image courtesy of Liverpool Record Office.