Caldy Parish Church
The building was originally an old school and part of Old Caldy Manor the date of construction is
unknown. Since 1882 the building, of red sandstone, had been a chapel, converted from an
outbuilding of Caldy Manor by Elizabeth Barton in memory of her husband Richard . It was decorated
by C E Kempe, who designed several windows and added a clock turret. The church contains many
memorials to the Bartons.
In 1893 the Manor passed to the Rev E A Waller, who added the north aisle and a saddle back tower.
The building and its decoration windows, reredos, screen and other fittings; has an attractive unity of
style, mainly from this single period. As the demands grew the building was extensively altered and
north aisle, chancel and north east tower were added 1906 by Douglas and Minshull. Caldy Church
was consecrated as the Church of the Resurrection and All Saints in 1907. The building is rock faced
stone with ashlar dressings, slate roof with tile crest. The nave has a North aisle, baptistery, chancel
north vestry and saddle-back tower.
The nave also has a gabled south porch and straight headed window of 3 cusped lights. The buttress
marks can still be seen between the nave and choir, which has paired 2 light windows and end gabled
buttress. The building also has a variety of mullioned windows and a large church tower which
projects to east. Above entrance there is a lintel stone dated 1882. The choir stalls and altar rail
have panels of marquetry and turned balusters. There is a tapering octagonal font with ribs and
inscription; and a painted baptistery ceiling. The building also has some beautiful stained glass
windows and a vestry fireplace with coat of arms, dated 1868. In the twentieth and twenty-first
centuries the parishioners have continued to care devotedly for the church. It was refurbished in the
1960s, when the stalls and screens were painted in the present grey, white, gold and crimson. The
black and white Hall, built in 1883 as a studio, was bought from the Manor and fitted out by the parish
in the 1970s.