Poulton Village

The name of Poulton derives from the Saxon word of "Ton" meaning Farmstead or Hamlet and the Celtic word of "Pwll" meaning
a small pool of water.  Roughly translated the name means small village by a pool of water or Pool Town.  The pool area which
we know today as the docks and Poulton was covered with trees and dense woodlands,  The pool ran inland and into a series
of small rivers creating dense marshy wetlands which flooded heavily and cut Wallasey off from the mainland at high tides.  The
pool has played its part in maritime history for the Wirral acting as an anchorage point for many vessels entering the peninsula,
all of which would have had to pay a small fee to the lord of the manor.  Although most of the area is now urbanised there are
many records of the town being plagued with floods from the river and on 2 occasions in 1683 and 1895 the Poole actual froze
up completely.  

The census shows that in 1545 there was only 85 people living in Poulton and the records show that the village consisted of a
windmill, (which stood at the corner of Mill Lane & Breck Road up a small passage known locally as The Rake).  In addition there
was a large public house (The Pool Inn), A Pinfold (Attached to the inn) and several dwellings. The area was covered in large
green open field with small windy paths and with old crook cottages opening onto the.  A small brook ran from the River into
what is known Mill lane and off back into the Mersey.   The village slowly began to grow in population over the forthcoming
years and was eventually merged into Poulton Cum Seacombe at a later date.    

Today there is little left of the old Poulton except for a few buildings scattered around the area, most of which are well
concealed with the landscape.  The Pool Inn has been associated with the village since the 1700s and other buildings to the
area have been dated back as far as the 1600s, showing that Poulton has been occupied for over 5 Century's.  Poulton Manor
is said to date back to approximately 1600ad although we cannot be sure, it was unfortunately demolished in 1905.  Records
show that the Manor House was located around Austin Street, taking up mots of Sherlock Lane with its large ground which
included Stables, Barns and large gardens.  The Gate house stood at the front of the grounds facing onto
Limekiln Lane, which
was a relatively busy industrial area at that time for producing quicklime.  
Click to enlarge
Additional Information
Manor House Map