An extract from A Perambulation of the Hundred of Wirral by Harold Edgar Young in 1909 reads:

"Even fifty years ago their was a fair depth of water in the Hoyle Lake, and the steam packets used to
take passengers, mostly visitors to Hoylake, for day trips to various places on the opposite coast of North
Wales, the fishermen charging sixpence each for putting passengers on board the packets.  Today
Hoylake, for all practical purposes, has ceased to exist, and the large fishing boats now dock at Liverpool.  
However Hoylake has another attraction, and their splendid golf links are counted amongst the best in the
kingdom, but her sea trade is a thing of the past and is not likely to be recaptured.  Now Hoylake is a place
of residence for those who collect their income elsewhere, and the old sand blown road, with the links on
one side and wide hungry looking fields on the other, that used to connect Hoylake with West Kirby is
called a "drive" and large and pretty houses cluster along it all the way to West Kirby.  Pedestrians now
leave that road to motorists and cyclists preferring to take their way with hesitating footsteps, and a pang
of conscience across the golf links for to be sure they will spoil some mans drive and add their knowledge
of Agot".  
Hoylake has gone by many names over the centuries and has for the vast majority of time been
associated as a residence for Mainers and fisherman.  The old township grew up around the small
fishing village of Hoose which is now amalgamated into local villages.  The name Hoylake was
derived from Hoyle Lake, which was a channel of water between Hilbre Island and Dove Point. The
mainland was protected by a wide sandbank known as Hoyle Bank and with a water depth of about
20 feet, it provided a safe anchorage for ships too large to sail up the Dee to Chester.
An extract from Gentleman's Magazine dated June 1796 reads as follows:

“The hotel lately erected by Sir John Stanley lord of the manor, is situated within a few yards of the
beach, and contains a variety of commodious apartments, both public and private, very comfortably
furbished.  The charges are very moderate, the table well and amply supplied, and nothing is wanting on
the part of the persons who have the management of it to render this house as pleasant and convenient
as can be desired”

In 1796 an advertisement for the Royal Hotel, in Stanley Road read:
"A terrace has lately been added to the hotel, from which there is a fine view of the lake, the sea, the
Lancashire hills and Welsh mountains, and of every ship which goes to and comes from Parkgate and
The Royal Hotel was built by Sir John
Stanley in 1792, with the intention of
developing the area as a holiday
resort.  The numerous steam packet
vessels sailing between Liverpool and
North Wales which called at the hotel
provided valuable patronage.  Business
boomed for the hotel and it soon
gained reputation for being one luxury
within the peninsula which at the time
lacked in this type accommodation.  In
1840 the Royal Hotel in  Hoylake had
the added attraction of a racecourse
which was laid out on a rabbit warren
facing the Hotel.  The turf was reputed
to be the finest in the world.  Although
the course ceased to be used in 1876,
the western turning is still visible, and
two of the old railing posts still stand.  
Like many of the old buildings in Wirral
the Hotel fell into disrepair and
unfortunately the hotel building was
demolished in the 1950s.  
The Royal Hotel
Hoylake's well known swimming pool known as
"The Lido" was located on the main promenade.  
It was opened in June 1913 and rebuilt again in
the late 1920s at a large sum to the borough.  In
1976, the Hoylake Pool and Community Trust
took over the running of the facility from Wirral
Borough Council.  The baths finally closed in

Many people from the Hoylake area still
remember the spectacular baths were many local
competitions were held and the general public
could go for a great time or simply to relax.  
Hoylake maritime history has taken a huge fall due mainly to the silting up of the river Dee.  At  one
time Hoylake was primarily full of fisherman and maritime related trades, indeed it is most probable
that Hoylake was founded on this principal.  With the silting of the river, inevitably came the slowing
of commerce and the larger vessels were unable to navigate the shallow treacherous waters.  Most
vessels now moved to Liverpool or the river Mersey on the other side of the peninsula.  There is
much recorded evidence of the gradual silting of the Dee which caused great trouble not only to
Hoylake but all of the villages which spring along the Dee coastline.  
In order to help guide mariners up and down the
channel and allowing safe access into the Hoylake
anchorage, two lighthouses were constructed in the

The lower light was a wooden structure that could be
moved according to differing tides and shifting sands to
remain aligned to the upper lighthouse, which was a
permanent brick building.  Both of these structures were
rebuilt a century later with much improved structures.  

The upper lighthouse, consisting of an octagonal brick
tower, which had a magnificent red light.  The lights
stopped on the 14th  May 1886 and is now part of a
private residence in Valentia Road.  

The lower lighthouse, closer to the shore in Alderney
Road continued but was deactivated in 1908 and finally
demolished in 1922.  Many old photographs and
postcard remain showing the lighthouses and thus
these structures have become part of Hoylake's
The Upper Lighthouse
Click here to continue to the next page                                                                                                                           Page 1  2