The village of Gaitone was first mentioned 1086 in the Domesday Book and roughly translates into
"Farmstead where goats are kept or goat enclosure". It derives from a Scandinavian form of Old Norse
pronounced Gata-tun. Also recorded as Gayton in 1244 and Geyton 1286. The village population has
always been small having been recorded as 100 in 1801, 144 in 1851, 180 in 1901 and 832 in 1951.