The charity designated in the parish books are as follows:
In 1646 William Gleave gave £50 and in 1746 Reverend Thos Green left by will £50 for bread. Henry
Hayes also left £10, Thomas Gill £5 and John Booth £20 in 1792. The present value of these bequests
is £654, invested in consols yielding a yearly income of £19 12s 4d which is expended in providing
bread for the poor in Woodchurch, Barnston and Oxton.
There is further bequest to the girls school, invested in land at Newton yielding £4 10s per annum
which goes towards the salary of the school mistress.
William Gleave of London by will dated May 1665 left money to be laid out in the lands for the
maintenance of a school master for the parish of Woodchurch, and £100 towards the erection of a
school. Land was purchased and conveyed by deed of feoffment bearing date 23rd September 1673
to 14 trustees. The survivors of these John Glegg and Simon Jackson by deed dated 25 October 1804
transferred the lands to the Early of Shrewsbury and 13 other trustees. The land which was situated
in the township of Newton cum Larton has since been sold and the proceeds amounting to £2684
invested in the names of the charity commissioners. The annual income is £80 10s 8d and was
expended in the maintenance of the schoolmaster and schools.
The ancient schools were in the church yard but I 1873 the present commodious schools and masters
house were erected, partly from the funds by subscription at a cost of !1461 on site given jointly by
the present rector Lord Winmarleigh. The schools have already been twice enlarged and afford
accommodation for 150 children. The number now on the books is 105 and the average attendance is
86. The school master is Mr H.E Axton.
Richard Adams M.A Rector of Winwick born in Parsonage House of Woodchurch in 1676 gave a study of
books to the number of 394 with a scrutore, the same containing. This library which in the Bishop
Gastrell was preserved in the school house has completely disappeared.
The drake of Chester left to the poor of Woodchurch £10, the interest to be distributed each good
Friday to the 4 poor woman at the discretion of the Minister.
In 1525 James Godyker of Barnston left 20 marks to buy 20 yoke of oxen, for which cows were
substituted by order of the Commissioners for Pious Purposes and given to the poor of the
Woodchurch Parish. In 1579 the Bishop of Chester decreed that the trust should be managed by 12
governors, 8 to be elected, together with the rector, the owner of Prenton Hall and 2 of the church
wardens. Any poor industrious parishioner is entitled to the allowance, about £5 towards the
purchase of a cow, and according to the last statement there were 21 cows belonging to the charity.
Sherlock's Cow Trust was a minor charity and eventually changed to the distribution of coal amongst
12 poor people from the township.