MENU
Dawpool was an ancient fishing hamlet sitting on the edge of the river Dee close to Thurstaston.  
The earliest mention of the hamlet is in the early 1600s however it is believed to be far older.  Over
the years the village was slowly incorporated into the parish of Thurstaston and now today has
ceased to exist completely.  There are still many important buildings from Dawpool's golden age and
few people on the Wirral know that Dawpool was once an extremely busy and thriving hamlet on the
peninsula.  The 1840 Tithe map also shows 'Lune Kiln' towards the waters edge in a field owned by
Joseph Morgan.  The plot is described as Chalk Field Realeys and Cotton Field.  (35 acres).

Gentleman's Magazine in 1822 states the following:
"The establishment of the port at Dawpool, near Chester is in progress and a speedy report is expected on
the subject from the intelligent engineer Mr Telford".  Shortly after this magazine was printed the project
was abandoned.  

Dawpool Manor is part of the history of Thurstaston village, though sadly it no longer exists as it was
demolished in 1927.  It was designed by Norman Shaw in 1884 and eventually became the home of
Thomas Henry
Ismay (1837-1899) who retired to Thurstaston after 40 years of business life.  During
this time Thomas Ismay founded the firm of "Ismay Imrie & Co" and became the chairman of the
White Star Shipping Line famous for the
Titanic.  When Thomas Ismay died, his estate was estimated
to be worth £1½ million, more than a fortune in those days.  

Wealthy and influential, Thomas Ismay was able to move the main Heswall to West Kirby road, which
came too close to the doorstep of his mansion.  His solution was to cut a path through Thurstaston
Hill, and given his money and influence, the idea was excepted and implemented.  The White Star
Line owned the Titanic, a connection that brings many visitors to the area and the family tomb in
Thurstaston each year.  

Although Ismays old manor house is now gone, still standing in the village is the original building of
Dawpool Primary
School, now a private house.  Also within the old village is the historical building of
Shore Cottage.  The Old cottage is in a remarkable location on the shoreline at Thurstaston, just
above the waterline looking out across the Dee.  Other buildings of interest within the village include
the
Clock Tower built by Ismay and Dawpool house both of which are several hundred years old and
built from the same fine red sand stone of Thurstaston Hall.  There also used to be an old sandstone
archway leading to the old quay at the waters edge.  These features have been recorded by several
authors:

In 1924 F.C Beazley states:

"About half a mile North of Thurstaston train station a tiny stream has cut its way through the cliff.  On
the shore at Dawpool is a massive rounded archway of the local red sandstone, some of the stones being
as much as six feet long.  From this a jetty runs into the sea while the beach for some distance around is
strewn with a quantity of squared stones; it would appear as if some time there had been a quay or a
seawall to protect the bank against erosion, and that the archway was made to allow the stream (which
would be larger in winter) to egress to the sea.  The bed of the stream for some distance from its mouth
contains squared stones".  

Having spent many hours wandering around here I have confirmed that the archway has long been
demolished, at what date however, i cannot say.  So too has the small stream which is referred to in
many books.  The archway and features stood close to where the slipway for the sailing club is today.
There is little sign of the ancient hamlet of Dawpool today but it should be noted that it played a
small part in Wirrals history as a place of beauty and public interest.  
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
The Clock Tower
Dawpool House
Shore Cottage
Primary School
Additional Pictures:
Dawpool Arch
Dawpool Arch
COMING SOON
COMING SOON