MENU
All Saints Church, Thornton Hough was consecrated on the 5th May 1868 by the then Lord Bishop of
Chester (The Right Rev. William Jacobson D.D.) It is of Gothic design of the 13th century with a tower
and spire approx. 120 feet high.

The Church, Vicarage, School (now the Parish Hall) and School House together with the School and
School House at Raby were a gift from Joseph Hirst, a wealthy woollen mill owner from Wilshaw, near
Huddersfield in Yorkshire where he had already built the church of St. Mary the Virgin five years earlier.

Joseph Hirst had married Eleanor Ramsey from Chester in 1831 when he was aged 26 and had
purchased Springfield House (now Thornton House) which he used as a retreat to recuperate from the
strains of business.

On 15th January 1866 Joseph Hirst purchased farmland from James Houghton, a merchant for £600.
The construction of the church and the adjoining vicarage and school took a little over twelve months,
the foundation stone having been laid by Joseph Hirst in March 1867. The church was designed by
John Kirk & Sons, Architects of Huddersfield and the work was carried out by John Moorehouse and his
six sons who were all masons from Meltham, near Huddersfield. The cost of the entire work was about
£8,500 excluding the cost of the ground.

The church is cruciform in plan consisting of a nave, transepts and chancel and is constructed of stone
from the immediate neighbourhood, the wall stones are of red sandstone and the dressings are of
ashlar from Storeton quarries.

As you enter the churchyard from Raby Road, the ARCH over the steps was given in memory of Walter
Kerr Fernie of Stanacres, Raby Road (now Thornton Farm). Mr Fernie died in 1928 aged 59 years and is
buried on the North side of the church.

The SPIRE is 120 feet tall. There is only one bell. The clock is original but is now powered by electricity
and automatically resets itself to accommodate changes in British Summer Time. The clock originally
had four dials, but when Joseph Hirst realised that the church roof obstructed his view of the north
facing dial from his home at Springfield House, (Now Thornton House) he added the fifth dial.
Page 1  2                                                                                                                                                                                         Next
All Saints 2008
All Saints Parish Hall 2008
All Saints 1906