MENU
The mainland of the Hoylake area was protected by a wide sandbank known as Hoyle Bank and with
a water depth of about 20 feet, it provided a safe anchorage for ships too large to sail up the Dee to
Chester.  In order to help guide mariners up and down the channel and allowing safe access into the
Hoylake anchorage it was decided that lighthouses were required.  In 1764, 2 lighthouses were built
at Hoyle Lake.  One was wooden structure the Lower light 24feet / 8metres high , which stood at the
high water mark, and could be moved to accommodate differing tides and shifting sands and the
second one, the Upper light; was built of red brick in an octagonal shape.  In  1776 the Hoylake
Lighthouse had four floors to accommodate the two families that took care of the two lighthouses.  
Eventually the weak wooden structures of the lower lighthouse was demolished and it was later
rebuilt in brick in 1833, and again in 1865.  The lighthouse formed part of the foundations of the old
"Winter Gardens" cinema which is now demolished next to the Lifeboat Station.

In 1866 a new Upper lighthouse approx 52 ft (15.85m) high with a diameter at the bottom of 25 ft 9
in. (7.82m) and a diameter at the top 16 ft (4.88m) was built on the same spot as the 1764
lighthouse.  The light was last lit on 14 May 1886.   After the upper lighthouse in Valentia Road fell
into disuse, the lighthouse keepers cottage became a private residence.   In a report of 1795, land
was bought for use as a garden next to the Upper lighthouse and, in 1837, more land was purchased
in order to prevent property development which would conceal the lighthouses from the sea.  It is
recorded that the Perch Rock and the Hoylake lighthouses would fly a Blue flag to summon the
lifeboat if somebody was seen in distress.  1909 Captain Edward Cole Wheeler bought the Upper
Hoylake Lighthouse for £800 (equal to £46,101.86 in 2001) and Charles Bertie Burrows bought the
Lower Hoylake Lighthouse for £936 10s 00d (equal to £53,967.99 in 2001).  The upper lighthouse,
consisting of an octagonal brick tower, which had a magnificent red light still exists today however it
has been overcome by modern housing and now occupies a private residence in Valentia Road.  The
lower lighthouse, which was the closest to the shore in Alderney Road, continued to work but was
deactivated in 1908 and finally demolished in 1922.  Many old photographs and postcard remain
showing the lighthouses and thus these structures have become part of Hoylake's heritage.  
Upper Lighthouse Present Day
Upper Lighthouse Present Day
Lower Lighthouse Keepers Cottage
The Lower Lighthouse (Now Demolished)
One of the Lighthouse Keepers
The Upper Lighthouse in Valentia Road
The Upper Lighthouse
The Upper Lighthouse
The Upper Lighthouse
There is also this more modern lighthouse in
Hoylake, which is also incorporated into a new
house just by the Red Rocks in Hoylake.

Photograph by Sandy Smith of West Kirby