MENU
The parish church of St Peters stands in a fine position Lower Heswall watching over the River Dee
below.  The age of the church is unknown but we certain that it is well over is over
700 years old.  It is
finely decorated with ornate sculptures whilst the structure itself is made from finely carved sandstone
blocks.  The church is now the third one to stand on the site.  Some of the old square tower remains
from the original church, which dates back to 1360.  From this era several gargoyles and dragons
decorate the ancient building which have survived the ravages of time.  The remaining building was
rebuilt in
1739 due to dilapidation from lack of funds and maintenance.  In 1879 the church had to be
rebuilt for the third time after most of the previous building was destroyed in a storm on the 19th
September 1875, during which lightening struck and killed the organist and a boy who were in the
church.  
St Peters Parish 2008
The list of rectors in the
church dates back to 1300.
 The first record of bells in
the tower is in
1553 when
it was recorded that
Heswall had a ring of three
bells.  Canon Kenneth Lee
in his book 'St Peter's
Church and Parish,
Heswall' states that the
tenor was presumably
recast in 1627 by William
Clibury of Wellington and
the two other bells in 1672
by William Scott of Wigan
but there are not now any
records in the church to
substantiate this.  The
three bells were recast in
1881 and two new bells
added in 1884 by John
Warner & Sons of London.
To the right of the church
on the paved area outside
which can be seen in the
picture to the left, is the
Parish Office.  This was the
original schoolhouse which
dates back to the reign of
King George the 3rd in
1810.  In the churchyard
straight ahead, can be
seen the base of the old
sundial which was taken
down many years ago.  It
is a turned stone column
sitting on two circular
steps.  
There is a sundial face set high into the church wall on your right just before the South West Porch.  
Inside to the left of the South West Porch is the old Baptistery inside which there is  an ancient font
from the first church.  This is the oldest part of the church along with the tower dating back to the
15th century. In the corner is a font from the first church.  The Parish records are still in existence and
show that in the reign of King James the 1st in 1605, 25 local  parishioners died of the
plague.  The
plague was thought to have ended in the 14th century but it returned to London in 1603 and killed
over
38,000 people.  Later it spreads northwards to ravage the population once again.  
St Peters Parish
Additional Photographs:
St Peters 1952
View from St Peters Tower 1952
 St Peters 1952
View from St Peters Tower 1952