Frankby was first mentioned 1230ad. The name Frankl's or Franki's village, is derived from an Old Norse personal name. The "by" suffix, included in neighbouring place names such as Greasby, Irby and Pensby, applies to settlements believed to be Viking in origin. The name has changed many times through the centuries having been known as Fraunkbi in 1346 and Fraunkeley in 1421.
The owners of the lands during the 19th century was T.B Royden M.P of Liverpool who occupied Frankby Hall as a place of residence. The house was described as being built from dark stone in about 1855 and constituted as a mansion due to its large size. Frankby Hall was itself a rebuild of an earlier hall on the site the date of which remains unknown. The site is now occupied by the chapel of Frankby Cemetery.
Frankby contains part of Royden Park with its miniature railway and meres. Named after local landowner Sir Ernest Royden, the park is jointly owned by the National Trust and Wirral Borough Council. A Roman brooch found in the south of the township near Frankby Mere and is held in the Liverpool Museum.
Within the grounds of Roydon park is a large Mock Tudor house known as 'Hill Bark', which was erected between 1928 and 1931 by Sir Ernest Royden. Originally known as 'Bidston Court', it was initially sited near Bidston Hill in 1891, it was moved brick by brick to its present position in Frankby to replace an earlier dwelling. The house contains a 16th century fireplace, once part of a house belonging to Sir Walter Raleigh.