MENU
                                                           Bishop Wilsons Cottage
Burton Institute Foundation Stone


The plaque reads as follows:

"Village Institute, given by Henry Neville Gladstone of Burton Manor.  This foundation stone was laid by
Ishbel Countess of Aberdeen, July 28th 1906".
The Burton Institute
Burton Village
Burton Village
Village Institute, given by Henry Neville Gladstone of Burton Manor.  This foundation stone was laid by Ishbel Countess of Aberdeen, July 28th 1906.
Description Previously used as a Cottage, dairy and cheese room; now used as a house and attached outbuilding. Built from red rubble sandstone with thatched roof and brick stack; outbuilding has slate roof. EXTERIOR: single storey and attic; 4-bay front; to left, single-storey 4-window outbuilding at right angles attached to cottage by means of single-storey open-sided link bay. House has wide boarded door incorporating glazed light to centre, beneath gabled half dormer with 2-light window. Other ground floor windows are 2-light, leaded, horizontal sliding sashes. To left of centre is gabled dormers with similar window. INTERIOR: remains of three cruck trusses. Ceiling beam with large girth ovolo moulds and one end bearing which can only be described as a mast step. Exposed ceiling joists and an old boarded door. HISTORY: birthplace and residence of Robert Wilson, Lord Bishop of Sodor and Man (consecrated 1697), founder of the village school, now known as The Old School