This old dwelling like many other used to be two separate buildings. The left side of the
building has little of its original structure left except part of the front wall, while the cottage
on the right is mainly in its original state. The gable end is box framed construction while the
example of cruck stairs running from the foundations to the roof in on great curve of solid
oak. This is most likely the oldest part of the building and it has been suggested that it may
date as far back as 1499. These two separate houses were originally owned by the Hospital
of St John and sat on the churches glebe land; hence their name.
EXTERIOR: Sandstone and brown brick; stone slate roof with coped gables and two brick
stacks. 2 storeys, 5 bays. Left hand part has high stone plinth, off bedrock, with brickwork
above, two flush casements at ground floor with deep stone lintel and single horizontal
glazing bar. At first floor level a single similar window is immediately above a half-glazed
boarded door, now sealed, with stone lintel above. The three bay right part has 2-light flush
casements but the right hand window replaces a former door for which steps, cut out of
bedrock, still remain. The entrance door is now at the rear.
INTERIOR: exposed beams and ceiling joists, wattle and daub.