The Fox & Hounds
There seems to have been a pub on this site since at least the sixteenth century with the first licensee
recorded as Thomas Baylye approx c1560. Over the centuries it has changed names several times
having been recorded as The Flag, The Hen & Chicken, The Black Horse, The Sportsman’s Arms
before finally ending up as the Fox & Hounds as we know it today.
A description of the building when trading as the Sportsman's Arms read as follows:
‘One bed for travellers, accommodation and refreshment for ten. Stables two’. ‘A modest house, fair
accommodation, refreshments other than drink frequently supplied’.
The building today is a far cry from its former self having undergone many renovations both internally
and externally. The road running outside the inn has been widened today to allow traffic to pass
uninhibited but old photographs show that the passage outside was much narrower only allowing for a
single horse & cart to pass. The building was whitewashed by ‘Old Polly’, Mrs Gertrey the licensee in the
19th century. She would paint the sandstone base of the building every morning and wash down the
pub counter with paraffin wax.
Taken from the Hundred of Wirral in 1889:
"The village inn is a truly ancient house, resting securely on the red sandstone which here crops up
frequently and formed, till lately; a delightfully uneven road way; a source of tribulation alike to both horse
and passenger. In this old holstery, a model of neatness is to be noted a very ancient Cheshire custom, now
fast expiring, that of tracing angular patterns on the tiles with fresh doc leaves each morning".
|The Fox & Hounds Modern Day