MENU
Many of the old Arrowe Park Manor farms still survive.  In 1861 a collective of Farm buildings, out houses
and a cottage was named Ivy Farm, after the cottage which called "Ivy Cottage".  The farm was described
in 1846 as a house,  building, fold, and gardens.  In 1846 when Arrowe Hall was up for sale, Ivy Farm was
being sold as part of this under Lot No 48.  The advertisement consisted of A detached residence (Ivy
Cottage) with gardens, out buildings, yard, conservatory and kitchen garden.  Many owners and tenants
came and went over the years from wealthy merchants, to servants and military Captains.  Today Ivy farm
still stands opposite the gates to Landican crematorium.  The words Ivy Farm printed in bold on signs
either side of the entrance way.  The gentry used to live in the house with a large garden, which is today
the visitor centre and rangers office building.  In addition to this there are 3 workers cottages at the side
of the farm known as Ivy Cottages.  One of the cottages clearly shows this date stone as being 1895.  The
cottages are now all private residences and part of the farm is used by Wirral Borough Council for
administration purposes.  

Another one of Arrowe Parks famous buildings is the Cheery Orchard pub, however most people do not
know where the name came from.  The pub stands on the site of a former cottage known as "Cherry
Cottage".  The cottage was built circa 1810 and was owned by non other than John Shaw.  Mr Shaw lived
in Cheery Cottage as his residence until his death in 1829 when John Ralph Nicholson Shaw took over.  In
1835 Cheery Cottage became the home of Arrowe Estate Land Agents. Various tenants came and went
until the Birkenhead Corporation took possession of the cottage at which time it was used as a residence
for the head gardener of Arrowe Park.  The cottage was used by 3 separate families until the last tenant
Tommy Stanley died in 1985.  After the cottage remained empty for several years Wirral Borough council
eventually passed plans to demolished the cottage.  On the 22nd of April 1994 the cottage was finally
demolished and with it a huge part of Arrowes history. Today the site of the cottage and gardens is the
new Cherry Orchard pub and beer gardens, but the family of the last tenants, the "Stanleys" all still live
locally.  

Not far from the Cheery Orchard pub stands a very old building known locally as "The Warrens"  The
building stands on the end of Thingwall Road East and bears the date stone 1750, although the ancient
sand stone building is believed to date back much further than that.  Many people believe the date stone
on display was added during a refurbishment t which concealed the real date of completion.  The first
known sales of the house was in 1717 when the deed was bought from Lord Ashbarnham, who were
descendants of the Earls of Derby.  Over the next 200 years owners were plentiful however one in
particular caught my attention and i believe his story is worth sharing.  Three brothers, called Harry, Tom
and Joe Oxton became tenants of the old building.  All of them, were experienced farm hands having
worked in the fields for many years and having been brought up in the agricultural parts of Storeton.  In
addition to this their farther was known to be the Head Teams man at Storeton Hall Farm.  The great War
of 1914 saw the brother split up and be sent of to war to fulfil their duties.  

The brothers served in France, Belgium and Egypt.  The brother all survived the Great war and returned
home to once again take up tenancy at the old House.  This time they started their own business with Tom
working long hours on a farm in Storeton to provide money, whilst Joe and Harry worked the Warrens Far.  
The brother constructed a small Pig Sty and from their small farm they made a meagre living.  In 1927 the
Warrens was bought by the Birkenhead Corporation which today is Wirral Borough Council, and
subsequently in 1928 the Oxton brothers left.  Today the Warrens is a well maintained and still highly
desirable private dwelling which continues to ooze charm over an ever changing Arrowe Park.

Another ancient farm which still stands the ravages of time is Top House Farm.  The farm house and barn
look to date from the early 18th century although no date stone or distinguishing marks can accurately
date them.  The buildings are brick made and sit opposite the site of an old clay pit which now lies under
Heywood Boulevard.  Since the farm has been in existence the name has altered several times, instances
of Arrowe Top, Higher Top and Higher House Farm have all been recorded.  The open fields behind Top
House Farm today is called "Nielsons Plantation", which is named so after the owner of Top House Farm
and lands Mr William Nielson.  In the early 1850s William Nielson left Top House Farm to be replaced by
Miles Pritt.  In 1858 a lady called Mary Kendrick moved from the Warrens where she had lived since
childhood to become the new tenant at Top House Farm.  She and her family ran the farm for many years.  
When Mary died her daughter Anne took over tenancy of the farm with her two brothers who helped run
the establishment but did not show up on the tenancy agreement.  In the late 19th century Top House
Farm was run by a Scottish family called the Macfarlenes.   In total 2 adults and 7 children and 2 helpers
lived at the farm during this period to run it sufficiently.  The family continue to run Top House Farm until
the late 1920s when Ralph Leech of another local farm in Landican called "Home Farm" took over tenancy.  
The final owner of Top House Farm was Ron Bradbury whose family ran the farm until the 1960s.    

However Arrowe is not just famous for its park and old farm buildings, in addition to these Wirrals primary
health  care hospital is built within the grounds of Arrowe Park providing an essential service to the
residents.

In 1929 the parks grounds were made famous when the 3rd World Jamboree was held at Arrowe Park.  It
was known as the "Coming of Age" Jamboree as it celebrated 21 years since the foundation of the
Scouting Movement.
Ivy Farm 2007
Ivy Farm 2007
Ivy Farm 2007
One of the Three Ivy Cottages built, this one says "Wons 1895"
above the door.  
Top House Farm 2008
The Warrens 2008
The following images are a selection of photographs taken from around Arrowe Park in 2007: